Monday, May 21, 2007

Phoua's Artist Statement

From the start, this research project was daunting. The first difficult aspect was choosing a topic – to focus on one of the many possible options Walnut Way presented. I was initially drawn in by the history of the area – intrigued by Milwaukee’s Bronzeville, a place I didn’t know once existed. Originally, I wanted to focus on the circumstances and factors that led to Bronzeville’s destruction, specifically direct causes such as urban renewal and the freeway construction; however, as I progressed, my attention shifted to the topic of segregation. Some people believe segregation was only a problem of the South, but as studies and history records, segregation also existed in the North. We have to be aware of this problem that still exists today.

It was quite difficult for me to find reading material on Bronzeville, so I searched online. After reading an online article, I was referred to a book, which has been very helpful in my research (info on the book is on the links page). That book then referred me to a 1954 Milwaukee Journal newspaper article that aided in my research on Milwaukee segregation. Besides those two “hard-copy” documents, I turned to the Internet for other resources. The Internet is an incredible tool and accessible to almost everyone. It’s amazing that this class (Film 150) built an online archive. It’s practical – instead of all our efforts closed up in a box and shut off in a room no one can find, they are displayed on the Internet where anyone at anytime from anyplace can obtain the information (which allows us to reach farther and broader audiences).

Bo un da ri es is broken up into three main sections: Bronzeville Borders, Drawing Lines, and Sidewalk Project. History is rich and one can never learn or study it all. Bronzeville Borders and Drawing Lines are brief overviews of what I’ve read and researched. For the purpose of time and space, I’ve only selected certain details and points for my website. To get a more detailed look on certain topics, one should do his/her own investigative research (you can check the links page for further information and resources). Sidewalk Project is the more conceptual aspect of my research on segregation. I love working with children – and took whatever opportunities I could to interact with the youth members in the Walnut Way neighborhood. The children radiated a sense of energy and desire to learn – yet have fun also. They live within borders, yet are the most accepting and interested, especially in what I was doing. I wanted to present the Sidewalk Project as a conceptual piece to convey the message that boundaries can be crossed.

I’ve learned how difficult it is to research and collect material. It was vital for me to plan ahead and know specifically what I was looking for when visiting the periodicals at the public library, city hall, or historical society. And when I didn’t find what I was looking for, I kept trying and made the most of what I had already collected. I spent a great amount of time reading – the difficult part was selecting what was significant and what was not because I believe every little detail plays a part in the bigger story. I learned a part of history that is localized and relevant to my life in Milwaukee and met people I would have never crossed paths with.

1 comment:

hidayah said...

can u give me problem in making metal product.......