Thursday, May 10, 2007

Kari Doro Artist Statement

Overall I have really enjoyed this project. I have been introduced to so many new things that I know without taking this course I never would have been exposed to. I have never before done a blog or anything of that sort. I also became aware that I was able to editing video and so much more. I put together photo albums with text and slide transitions. I am so grateful and excited that I was given this opportunity to discover all of these things. I was taught how to upload video on the computer and with that how to use a video camera. The biggest problem I faced was my complete lack of knowledge about anything to do with blogging or using media on the computer. I did come across a couple times where I would delete a post and start over because I had simply messed it up beyond repair but it was a great way to learn what to do and what not to do. I also was introduced to patherfile for the first time.
At first I wanted to just concentrate on the youth group and how it worked, how it was started, and why. I was able to have a great conversation with Nicole about the working of the youth program and how it came to be what it is today, as well as the privilege to be present at events that members of the youth program where at. As I came to work on the website I could see that I needed more material to work with so I came up with the idea of doing a section on the rain gardens. The rain gardens are a big part of Walnut Way and everyone talks about what a great thing they are. Before this project I have never heard of a rain garden and even after I knew walnut way had some I still did not really know what it was that they did. By contacting Nicole I was able to learn were some of the really beautiful rain gardens were located and she also told me just to look for the black pipe attached to the rain pipe and I would find a rain garden. I went out with her address and took a bunch of pictures. I was also able to locate some that she had not specifically said. After that I needed to learn what the rain gardens did so I made a trip to the library. I was only able to find two specific things on rain gardens but they did provide me with a lot of information. I was able to learn how rain gardens benefit communities as well as a step by step guide to building my own rain garden. I was able to learn that rain gardens stop pollutants and the like from running off into the sewage system and eventually into our local lakes and streams. They also allow thirty percent more water to soak into the group compared to a traditional lawn. Another technique that I was able to pick up is that rain gardens involve some thought process when you want to install one in your yard. There are many different factors that need to be considered before you begin your project, but someday I would like to have a rain garden in my lawn.
This project has taught me many things, from how to use blogger to why rain gardens are a necessity in any community. I really have enjoyed working on this website and feel that I have contributed to Walnut Way and that people will not be able to see what a great youth program they have and also learn about rain gardens, just one of the many ways that Walnut Way is working to make their neighbourhood a better place.

No comments: